Field fire in Thurston as conditions remain dangerously hot and dry
- Credit: Archant
Firefighters in Suffolk tackled yet another field blaze today as the heatwave continues.
The county’s fire brigade was alerted to the fire in Thurston, near The Dell Caravan Park, around 5.20pm.
The fire was understood to have involved straw, field stubble and hedge, as well as a baler.
Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service sent vehicles from Ixworth, Bury St Edmunds, Elmswell and Newmarket.
Crews used six hose reels and beaters to extinguish the fire, in a field off Thurston Road, by 6.45pm.
In a statement, the fire service said: “Combined fire control received a call to a field stubble fire and mobilised three appliances due to the number of calls.
“The first pump to arrive requested a further pump plus the water carrier to assist with extinguishing as there were several seats of fire and a baler had caught alight.
- 1 Snow falls in Suffolk overnight as cold snap set to continue
- 2 'Calm, graceful and kind': Tributes paid to martial arts world champion
- 3 Matchday Recap: Outrageous Celina wins it for Town
- 4 Fire breaks out at British Sugar Factory
- 5 No timescale for when Suffolk road closed due to flooding can reopen
- 6 Nearly 150 homes to go on land no longer needed for jobs
- 7 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
- 8 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 9 Ipswich Town 2-1 Crewe Alexandra: Celina brilliance just about enough to see Blues home
- 10 'The bigger picture is the result' - Cook on Crewe win
“Six hose reels and beaters were used to extinguish the fire.”
Police attended to close the road while firefighters worked at the scene.
The recent hot and dry conditions have brought a surge in wildfires in the county.