Field fire in Thurston as conditions remain dangerously hot and dry
- Credit: Archant
Firefighters in Suffolk tackled yet another field blaze today as the heatwave continues.
The county’s fire brigade was alerted to the fire in Thurston, near The Dell Caravan Park, around 5.20pm.
The fire was understood to have involved straw, field stubble and hedge, as well as a baler.
Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service sent vehicles from Ixworth, Bury St Edmunds, Elmswell and Newmarket.
Crews used six hose reels and beaters to extinguish the fire, in a field off Thurston Road, by 6.45pm.
You may also want to watch:
In a statement, the fire service said: “Combined fire control received a call to a field stubble fire and mobilised three appliances due to the number of calls.
“The first pump to arrive requested a further pump plus the water carrier to assist with extinguishing as there were several seats of fire and a baler had caught alight.
- 1 Matchday Live: Town beaten 3-0 after Harrop's red card
- 2 Cyclist dies after collision with car in Bury St Edmunds
- 3 Ipswich Town closing in on appointment of new chief executive
- 4 Cafe owner 'very emotional' after mystery customer leaves £500 for staff
- 5 'Buzz' about town as pub prepares to reopen under new family management
- 6 Woman arrested on suspicion of drink-driving following A14 crash
- 7 Serious crash closes road in Bury St Edmunds near A14
- 8 'I am delighted to be joining. There is a lot of hard work that lies ahead' - Town's new CEO Ashton confirmed
- 9 'Our supporters are tired and bored of us' - Cook on 3-0 loss at AFC Wimbledon
- 10 Antiques Roadtrip star opens new Suffolk antiques shop
“Six hose reels and beaters were used to extinguish the fire.”
Police attended to close the road while firefighters worked at the scene.
The recent hot and dry conditions have brought a surge in wildfires in the county.