Prison absconder was ‘missing his sister’
- Credit: Archant
A prisoner who was on the run for more than a month after walking out of a Suffolk open prison has been jailed for six months.
Anthony Smith, 46, was reported missing from HMP Hollesley Bay on October 23 and was apprehended in Brentwood six weeks later on December 1, Ipswich Crown Court heard.
Smith, who was serving an eight year and six month sentence for burglary, was reported missing after he was absent from a roll call.
Smith admitted escape and was jailed for six months to run consecutively to his current sentence.
Laura Austin for Smith, said he had been due for release on April 28 2020 but this had been put back until June 11 2020 to make up for the six weeks he was on the run.
You may also want to watch:
She said Smith had been placed in care when he was a baby but had recently got to know his biological sister.
When he absconded from Hollesley in October he had been missing his sister, who lived in Brentwood, and had decided to walk out of the prison.
- 1 Boy, 5, in critical condition after incident at department store
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of murdering Victoria Hall
- 3 Suffolk sprinter opens her 'dream' cafe at age of 25
- 4 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 5 Chaplin is Cook's 'assassin' who was once taught a tough lesson by the Town boss
- 6 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 7 Town could still move for another winger after Chaplin signing
- 8 Superstitious nonsense or serious business? - Change on the way as Ipswich Town play the numbers game
- 9 Go-ahead for 150 new homes in Suffolk village
- 10 Boy, 13, pulled from moat at Framlingham Castle