Appeal lodged over 290 Rendlesham homes
- Credit: Tom Potter
Developers behind plans to build 290 homes in Rendlesham which were dismissed by Suffolk Coastal as “predatory” have appealed the decision.
Christchurch Property Company Ltd submitted plans to develop 290 homes on land off Redwald Road earlier this year.
The proposals went to Suffolk Coastal District Council’s planning committee in March, where the plans were refused amid concerns over the impact on traffic, proximity to special protection areas and other issues.
Now, Christchurch has formally lodged an appeal of the decision with the Planning Inspectorate.
Tony Fryatt, Suffolk Coastal’s cabinet member for planning said: “When this application was originally considered by Suffolk Coastal’s planning committee in March 2018, members refused the application because the majority of the proposed development is outside the physical limits of Rendlesham, the development is not needed, it would have an adverse effect on the highways system and would also impact on the nearby special protection areas.
“We will vigorously defend the decision taken by the planning committee at the forthcoming planning appeal hearing.
You may also want to watch:
“Suffolk Coastal welcomes the right sort of development in the right places, but we also have a responsibility to protect our unique environment.
“The fact that this proposed development is contrary to the Rendlesham Neighbourhood Plan, when we have demonstrated we also have an adequate housing supply for several years in Suffolk Coastal, allows the independent Planning Inspectorate to support our decisions to only allow well-considered developments which compliment our environment and support our communities.”
- 1 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 2 Matchday Recap: Aluko brace not enough as Blues draw at Cambridge
- 3 'I'll never shut up shop' - Cook on 2-2 draw at Cambridge United
- 4 Stu says: Six observations following Town's 2-2 draw at Cambridge
- 5 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-2 Cambridge draw
- 6 Covid vaccine boosters now available at walk in sessions
- 7 Cambridge United 2-2 Ipswich Town: Blues let their lead slip again in draw
- 8 New fishmonger shop opens in Suffolk market town
- 9 Have you had the 'worst cold ever' that is going round Suffolk?
- 10 2,000 patients visit A&E because they are feeling depressed
During March’s meeting, Geoff Holdcroft said it was “entirely premature” as there was not a local plan in place to measure the scheme against, while Mike Deacon on the committee added that it was the council’s duty to “protect our communities against predatory developers”.
Richard Brown from Richard Brown Planning – agents for Christchurch – at the time said the team would consider the situation before deciding on whether to appeal or submit a revised application.
The appeal means that the matter will be considered by the Planning Inspectorate in a planing inquiry.
A date has not yet been set for when the inquiry will take place, but interested parties have until August 28 to submit their comments and statements.
A spokesman for the developers has been approached for comment.