Architects appointed for Vineyard Gate scheme in Colchester
- Credit: Archant
A major regeneration scheme to transform Colchester’s historic town centre will be discussed at a special meeting tonight.
GT3 Architects has been appointed by Colchester Borough Council to undertake concept plans for a mixed-use scheme on the 2.5-acre site currently occupied by the Vineyard Gate car park and a number of surrounding properties.
As well as considering how a new scheme might look, the council will review the cost and delivery of the project in a report to be published later this month.
The project was first put forward more than 10 years ago and has faced a series of major setbacks.
These have included the recession, the withdrawal of Caddicks as the council’s development partner from the scheme, and the decision by Primark to use the former BHS store for its new Colchester outlet instead of being a top name to draw in potential tenants to Vineyard Gate.
This evening’s scrutiny panel meeting will hear the council’s project team provide an update on work to-date, including a number of property acquisitions which have been carried out as part of the site assembly process, and why new concepts for Vineyard Gate are being explored.
You may also want to watch:
Tim Young, portfolio holder for business and culture, said: “Developments up and down the country have been through a tough period over the last few years.
“It has taken longer than we would have liked to deliver the best scheme possible for Vineyard Gate, but that is now beginning to change.
- 1 Daylight dogging makes beauty spot 'no-go area'
- 2 'We have the quality to go on and win this league' - Burns calls upon fans to keep the faith
- 3 Three East Anglian curry houses make final of English Curry Awards
- 4 'It was horrific': Grandmother stuck abroad after 40ft castle fall
- 5 Woman who was found with maggots living in hand evicted from care home
- 6 Seven observations following Ipswich Town's 2-1 loss to West Ham U21s
- 7 'We're a soft touch' - Cook on defeat to West Ham U21s
- 8 Five star cat hotel opens near Bury St Edmunds
- 9 Towering views for royal on visit to see completed £4m Suffolk project
- 10 'Fly high gorgeous girl' - Alliyah, 17, dies after collision
“I’m delighted that we’re able to move this proposal forward once again.
“I look forward to seeing GT3 Architects’ plans to transform Vineyard Gate with an exciting new focus that will also provide the next significant step in the regeneration of the St Botolph’s area.”