Armed police swoop on property in east Ipswich after man is chased into shop
Armed officers and police dogs were deployed to the Woodbridge Road area of Ipswich today after a man fled to a shop when chased by two men.
Officers subsequently carried out a search of a property in Tovells Road, off Cauldwell Avenue this morning.
A spokeswoman for Suffolk Constabulary said: “Police were called at approximately 9.35am by a man in his 20s who had been walking on Tomline Road and had seen four men in a car acting suspiciously.
“Two of the men got out of the car and started to chase the man. He sought help in a nearby shop and then rang police.
“Officers attended and their enquiries led them to an address in Tovells Road where a warrant was executed, and a search of the premises was made.
“A number of police units attended the incident including a police helicopter and the police dogs. Armed police also attended due to reports that the men may be carrying a weapon, however, no weapons were recovered.
“No-one was arrested and enquiries are on-going.”
- 1 Man in 40s stabbed at town centre multi-storey car park
- 2 'We're going to push back!' - Ashton's message to Norwich City
- 3 Fuel protests: Twelve miles of queues reported on A12
- 4 Suspected drink driver arrested after three cars damaged in crash
- 5 Tent, kitchen units and bedding dumped in 'unsightly' fly-tipping
- 6 Mystery of container ships at anchor off Suffolk coast solved
- 7 Dobra signs for Cook's Chesterfield after Ipswich departure
- 8 Macauley Bonne: Town is not a closed book... I've got unfinished business
- 9 Suffolk's first blue badge prosecution for Haverhill woman
- 10 7 of the prettiest cafes in Suffolk
One onlooker who saw the police activity said: “I was initially aware of the helicopter above us. I was visiting a friend at the time.
I was worried an officer might be in need of help so I went to check.
“At that stage I saw a police dog in the back of a vehicle.
“I also saw two or three armed response units present.
“Other units arrived as time passed. You had a couple of officers keeping an eye on a property. Eventually you had two or three officers making an entry.
“Apparently one resident said there had been various people coming and going at the house throughout the weekend.”