Armed raiders flee after shopkeeper fights back
ARMED robbers wielding a lump hammer and a sickle fled empty handed from a shop when the 65-year-old owner chased them out of his store.
Pensioner Tony Mitchell, who owns Stars n Jars in Hunts Hill, Glemsford, fought back when one of the balaclava clad raiders struck his shop assistant with the hammer and demanded keys to the shop’s safe.
Mr Mitchell, who was just opening the newsagents and convenience store at 6am this morning, said he was about to make some tea when the raiders burst in.
After chasing them out of his shop with a 10ft metal pole the raiders fled in a blue and grey Diahatsu Fourtrack driven by a third man wearing a balaclava.
The car, which was stolen from Tiptree in Essex, was later found abandoned off the Pentlow Road near Foxearth.
You may also want to watch:
Police are appealing for information on the two men who burst into the shop. One is in his 40’s the other around 50. Both were white, wearing black clothes and balaclavas.
Anyone with information should call Babergh CID on 01284 774100 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.
- 1 Dozzell set for QPR, as Championship clubs show interest in Downes
- 2 Postman who abandoned 'undriveable' van wins unfair dismissal claim
- 3 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
- 4 Man in 20s dies after fall from pub
- 5 GP surgery in 'special measures' after patients and staff raise concerns
- 6 Woman suffers life-threatening injuries after fall from building
- 7 Covid infections mapped: 20 postcode areas report three or more cases
- 8 Cyclist hurt in crash with car
- 9 If your surname is on this list you could be sitting on a fortune
- 10 My frustration at how rude drawings balls up our beaches