Armed robbers strike at village store
By Danielle NuttallCrime CorrespondentDETECTIVES are hunting two masked robbers who burst into a village post office with what appeared to be shotguns and demanded cash.
By Danielle Nuttall
DETECTIVES are hunting two masked robbers who burst into a village post office with what appeared to be shotguns and demanded cash.
The terrifying raid happened at Debenham Post Office yesterday when two men wearing balaclavas entered the High Street premises with what were believed to be shotguns and demanded money.
You may also want to watch:
A quantity of cash was taken before the men fled. No-one was injured in the incident and no shots were fired.
A spokesman for Suffolk police said last night: “The incident happened at 5.10pm and two men wearing balaclavas entered the post office, carrying what appeared to be shotguns.
- 1 Tankers on their way to Suffolk as the government unveils action plan
- 2 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 3 The 72 postcode areas where Covid infection rates are rising
- 4 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-1 draw with Sheffield Wednesday
- 5 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 6 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 7 Blaze spreads from classic car to bungalow next door
- 8 'Poor' infection control at care home sees used Covid test swab left in pile of clean PPE
- 9 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 10 Church brings a new Hope to former Ipswich Odeon cinema
“Money was demanded and a quantity was taken before the two men ran from the store. No-one was injured and in the incident and no shots were fired. Police are at the scene and obviously in the early stages of an investigation.”
The spokesman added he was unable to release any descriptions of the robbers last night.
In a separate incident, detectives are hunting two robbers who burst into a village post office in Essex, armed with a shotgun and a knife, and demanded cash.
The raid happened at Birch Mini Market and Post Office in Birch, near Colchester, at 2pm yesterday, but it was unclear last night if there was any link between this robbery and the one in Debenham.
In the Birch raid, two men entered the store with their faces covered and pointed a shotgun and kitchen knife at two women working there. They demanded cash and fled with what police described as a “substantial” sum.
Anyone with information about the Debenham robbery should contact Suffolk police on 01473 613500 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.