Army medic-turned-parking officer saves life in Witham by giving CPR for 10 minutes
A former Army medic helped to save someone’s life at a busy Essex shopping centre.
Bob Brookes, who works for the North Essex Parking Partnership (NEPP), was on his break in Witham when he became aware a man had collapsed in a nearby outlet at the Grove Shopping Centre on Saturday.
Mr Brookes, a former medical technician in the Army, leapt into action and rushed to help the casualty.
When the collapsed man went into cardiac arrest and stopped breathing Mr Brookes, along with the store’s first aider, performed CPR for almost 10 minutes until a first responder and paramedics arrived to take over.
The casualty was later taken to Basildon and Thurrock Hospital by ambulance.
Mr Brookes is a technical officer for the NEPP where he has worked since 2011. He covers the Braintree, Uttlesford, Epping Forest and Harlow districts.
Councillor Robert Mitchell, chairman of the North Essex Parking Partnership, said: “The organisation is incredibly proud of Mr Brookes who did a fantastic job in performing first aid and saving the gentleman’s life.
- 1 Village hall treasurer jailed after stealing cash to help his business
- 2 Push for 4 day work week in Suffolk after company's profits soar 200%
- 3 Road near A14 closed after 'serious' two-vehicle crash
- 4 'Incredible' Downes tipped 'to play at the very top'
- 5 When loans go permanent: Town's hits and misses when keeping hired hands full-time
- 6 First look inside Ipswich's new Tim Hortons ahead of opening
- 7 'We thought he could be someone special' - Comolli on McKenna's start in coaching
- 8 Flood alert issued for parts of Suffolk coastline
- 9 Colchester sack Mullins as ex-Town defender takes interim charge of U's
- 10 Walton completes permanent move to Ipswich Town
“We wish the casualty a full and speedy recovery and hope that he and his family have a wonderful Christmas together.”
NEPP covers parking monitoring and restriction schemes in the districts above as well as Colchester and Tendring.