Camouflaged army veteran caught with axe and fake gun awaits punishment
- Credit: Archant
An army veteran caught with an imitation rifle, hand axe and lock knife in Brandon town centre while dressed in camouflage must wait to learn his fate from a crown court judge.
Carl Robinson, 38, of Riverside Way, Brandon, previously pleaded guilty to possessing an imitation rifle, a lock knife and a hand axe in Brandon town centre, and appeared at Suffolk Magistrates’ Court on Friday for his sentencing hearing.
The court heard that Robinson, who was dressed in camouflage clothing, was stopped by police on September 8, 2019 near Brandon railway station.
The imitation rifle – a .22 BB gun – was attached to his large rucksack under a cloth and a further search of the bag revealed the knife and hand axe.
MORE: Camouflaged man caught with weapons in town centreThe court heard that Robinson had been in Brandon Wood doing bushcraft with two friends and was on his way home.
Robinson, who served a tour of Afghanistan with the army from 2000 to 2003, has a previous conviction for possessing a bladed article in 2014.
You may also want to watch:
The ‘two strikes’ measure creates a mandatory six-month minimum sentence for a second conviction of possession of a bladed article.
Magistrates chose to send the sentencing to the crown court and released him on unconditional bail ahead of that hearing, which is on a date to be fixed.
- 1 Andy's Angles: Six observations after Ipswich Town's 2-1 win over Fleetwood
- 2 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Suffolk
- 3 'Unique' café with 250 plus board games to play will open soon
- 4 How Suffolk are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 5 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 6 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 7 'It's been difficult... I was just so happy' - Celina delighted to end long goal drought in style
- 8 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-1 Fleetwood win
- 9 Business units set to be converted into new seafront flats
- 10 Hadleigh home with loo in master bedroom hits the market