Arson at Great Cornard flat took ‘several attempts to get going’, Ipswich Crown Court heard

PUBLISHED: 16:53 23 May 2017 | UPDATED: 16:53 23 May 2017

Ipswich Crown Court. Picture: PHIL MORLEY

Ipswich Crown Court. Picture: PHIL MORLEY


A Suffolk man and two women accused of setting fire to a flat in Great Cornard made several attempts to get the fire going, it has been alleged.

Shaun Du’Barry Spinks, who has admitted arson, told a jury at Ipswich Crown Court that he had gone to the premises in Queensway with Abigail Bolden and a 17-year-old girl and they had been present when he set light to newspapers sticking out of the letter box with a lighter.

Giving evidence for the prosecution he said the fire hadn’t taken hold and he and the 17-year-old had used sticks to poke the embers through a cat flap and the 17-year-old had then used a deodorant spray to “get the fire going”.

Du’Barry Spink said he and the 17-year-old had both entered the flat during the evening but they had been forced to turn back because of the smoke.

He admitted setting light to his scarf on the stairs with his lighter to make the fire spread.

Bolden, 20, of Kersey Avenue, Great Cornard, has denied arson being reckless as to whether life would be endangered on January 12 last year.

The court has heard that Du’Barry Spinks, 20, of Hawkins Road, Sudbury, and the 17-year-old girl, who cannot be identified because of her age, have admitted the charge.

Wayne Cleaver, prosecuting, alleged that Du’Barry Spinks, Bolden and the 17-year-old had gone out on January 12 with the aim of trying the doors of houses to see if they were unlocked.

They had ended up at the flat in Queensway which was rented by Bolden’s cousin but it was known she wasn’t at home on the night in question.

He said Bolden denied being involved in starting the fire and claimed that Du’Barry Spinks and the 17-year-old girl were to blame.

Mr Cleaver said Bolden claimed she had tried to disassociate herself from them when she realised what they were doing but hadn’t wanted to go home on her own.

The trial continues.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East Anglian Daily Times. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the East Anglian Daily Times