Arson probe follows fire in Maldon barn containing 330 tonnes of hay
- Credit: Archant
Police were called in to help investigate a fire which tore through a barn near Maldon.
Officers were called to reports of a barn containing 300 tonnes of hay on fire in Manor Road, Woodham Walter, at about 1am on Sunday.
No animals or people were hurt in the blaze, which is being treated as arson.
Firefighters from Maldon and Witham had been called just before midnight to the building, measuring about 30m by 80m.
The building was badly damaged by the fire – the cause of which will be subject to a full investigation.
You may also want to watch:
At 8.22am, crews reported that the fire was well under control and spanned an area of four square metres.
One fire engine remained at the scene to ensure the remaining hay burned out safely.
- 1 'It's gone crazy' - Boss of Town's promotion rivals on League One spending
- 2 Warning of 'severe' flooding in west Suffolk
- 3 Town in talks to sign Barnsley forward Chaplin
- 4 Mapped: Check the Covid rate in your Suffolk neighbourhood
- 5 Ipswich Town closing in on deal to sign Rangers defender Edmundson
- 6 Popular Southwold fish and chip shop for sale for £850k
- 7 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 8 Ipswich target Jacobs on his Town talks and chances of a Portman Road move
- 9 How bride paid £1 for vintage wedding dress
- 10 Hadleigh dad fights to reverse diabetes diagnosis
Anyone with information should call Chelmsford CID on 101 quoting incident number 53 of 28/01 or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.