Students’ artwork displayed at cathedral
- Credit: Archant
Artwork from college students in Bury St Edmunds will be displayed at the town’s cathedral as part of a special exhibition.
The two-week ‘Festival of Light’ exhibition is based on ‘Enlightenment’ and students from West Suffolk College looked at wider world issues relating to festivals of light, culture and religion.
They spent some time observing and photographing St Edmundsbury Cathedral to be able to construct concepts and context for their artwork.
Sophie Knappett, lecturer in art and design at the college said: “The students and I approached the staff at the cathedral to see if we could hold an exhibition at the cathedral as it ties in with the theme perfectly.
“Each piece of work is based on what enlightenment means for that student, it could be personal, cultural, spiritual or even visual.
You may also want to watch:
“We have seen a lot of them base their piece upon the architecture of the cathedral – there is a real mixture of content, it’s fantastic.”
Holly Armstrong, 19, from Long Melford made the decision to illustrate multiple cathedrals into one piece when demonstrating her take on enlightenment. She said: “I was inspired by my different university visits, whenever I went to a new city I would visit the different cathedrals and then incorporate these into my artwork. This includes the St Edmundsbury Cathedral, Bristol, Leeds, Manchester and Liverpool.”
- 1 Family forced to live in tent after maggots and rats found in home
- 2 'There are a million pundits... it becomes tedious' - Cook on Portsmouth trip
- 3 Four men arrested after man dies at Felixstowe lorry park
- 4 3,000 children test positive for Covid in Suffolk over 10 day period
- 5 Car stranded in ditch after crash near Bury St Edmunds
- 6 The Suffolk pub serving a gourmet Sunday lunch three days a week
- 7 Ipswich in shock after waterfront sexual assault
- 8 Suspected drink driver arrested after cyclist killed in collision
- 9 Framlingham taxi driver lives double life as Chateau Diaries star
- 10 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
Helen Woodroffe, education officer for St Edmundsbury Cathedral, said: “The Festival of Light Exhibition 2019 has attracted much interest from visitors to the Cloisters at St Edmundsbury Cathedral during the dull January days.
“The interpretation of the concept ‘Enlightenment’ and use of different art mediums have engaged all ages in thought, discussion and appreciation, it has been a very worthwhile project which we look forward to repeating in the future.”