Artwork installed in new Sudbury health centre
- Credit: Archant
Visitors to the new £10million Sudbury health centre will be greeted by a large-scale mixed media collage of the town’s famous water meadows.
The work by Cavendish artist Naomi McIlroy, entitled “Meadow Walk”, was chosen from 36 entries in a competition held last year to involve the community with the health centre project.
The challenge was to find a local artist who could create a piece of artwork that would deliver a sense of wellbeing to patients and staff in the state-of-the-art building.
Now digitally reproduced and installed in a 5metre by 2.5m space on the centre’s atrium wall, the work was unveiled yesterday and will be available to view at an open day on December 20. The public will get a first chance to tour around the long-awaited facility, which has been in the pipeline for more than 30 years.
Two smaller works by the runners-up – Debbie Wendt with her four panel piece “Visions of Sudbury” and Peter Gray with his entry “The Talbot Trail” – have also been placed on permanent display in the centre.
You may also want to watch:
Andrew Eley, deputy chief operating officer for NHS West Suffolk Clinical Commissioning Group, which has commissioned the health centre, said: “These three artworks have been prominently placed in the new health centre and they will undoubtedly have a positive and uplifting effect on patients for many years to come.
“Local people will have a chance to view these pieces, as well as all the other entries which were submitted to the art competition, at the health centre’s open day. The event will also enable people to tour the building and meet with all those involved in delivering this important health facility.”
- 1 Suffolk estate which featured on TV show on the market for £1.25m
- 2 Town take up contract options on duo with plenty of departures still expected
- 3 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 4 Chambers and Skuse set to be headline exits on day of departures at Ipswich Town
- 5 Mark Heath: The Town players Cook should keep and release today
- 6 Man in 20s dies in collision between lorry and pedestrian on A14
- 7 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-1 win against Fleetwood
- 8 Chambers and Skuse to leave Ipswich Town
- 9 Town confirm four more exits at end of season
- 10 Queen writes to Lily, 5, in reply to condolences card