As the nation celebrates Chip Week, we bring you five of the best Suffolk chippies
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Ooh the magic of fish and chips. Nothing beats the unbridled joy on a Friday night (or any other night for that matter) of unfurling the paper wrapping, releasing a plume of starchy steam and smothering your crunchy supper with a good shake of vinegar and salt.
It’s Chip Week until February 22, so what better time to celebrate some of our greatest chippies?
1.Nacton Road Fish Bar, Ipswich
The team here has come up trumps again, taking the prize this year in Chip Week as best chippie in Suffolk. Fish and chip fanatics travel from far and wide to sample the goods here, favouring the crisp batter and fish cooked to order.
2.Fish Dish, Felixstowe
A large, modern fish and chip restaurant and takeaway on Felixstowe’s seafront opposite the leisure centre. If you haven’t visited yet you have to give this place a whirl. The kitchen uses local suppliers for fish, vegetables, potatoes, bread, meat, wine and desserts to create a really quite good menu that includes so so crispy fish and chips without a hint of grease and even charcoal grilled fish – if you’re trying to be good. Well worth a visit.
3.The Golden Galleon, Aldeburgh
- 1 A14 westbound closed after car catches fire
- 2 Car seized as driver tries to avoid parking fees at Stansted Airport
- 3 Council has 'no plans' to alter verge cutting schedule in Suffolk
- 4 'There are still areas we want to improve' - McKenna on transfer plans
- 5 'Eyesore' Suffolk seafront hotel for sale for £2million
- 6 Town in negotiations with Aberdeen over Hladky sale
- 7 Mapped: Where parasite dangerous to dogs has been reported in Suffolk
- 8 Plans for 5 'very large homes' in Suffolk village turned down
- 9 Ipswich Town appoint new Academy Manager
- 10 Stuart Taylor sacked by Hamilton
A favourite in Suffolk for locals and holidaymakers. Be prepared to queue (especially on warmer days) for the juicy East Coast fish, savoury batter and dry, crisp chips. Of course, you HAVE to eat these on the sea wall to the sound of the waves battering the pebbly beach.
4.The Codfather, Sudbury
Recently extended to enlarge the restaurant, these are easily the best fish and chips in the area with a great flavour and texture. Homemade pies and proper sausages are available too.
5.Halesworth Fish and Chips, Halesworth
A friendly family run shop that prides itself on using natural and, where possible, locally-sourced ingredients – including decent quality Blythburgh pork sausages. The first Saturday of the month is gluten-free day!
Did we miss out your favourite? Tell us about your favourite fish and chip shop @eadt24 #bestchipsinsuffolk