As the nation celebrates Chip Week, we bring you five of the best Suffolk chippies
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Ooh the magic of fish and chips. Nothing beats the unbridled joy on a Friday night (or any other night for that matter) of unfurling the paper wrapping, releasing a plume of starchy steam and smothering your crunchy supper with a good shake of vinegar and salt.
It’s Chip Week until February 22, so what better time to celebrate some of our greatest chippies?
1.Nacton Road Fish Bar, Ipswich
The team here has come up trumps again, taking the prize this year in Chip Week as best chippie in Suffolk. Fish and chip fanatics travel from far and wide to sample the goods here, favouring the crisp batter and fish cooked to order.
2.Fish Dish, Felixstowe
You may also want to watch:
A large, modern fish and chip restaurant and takeaway on Felixstowe’s seafront opposite the leisure centre. If you haven’t visited yet you have to give this place a whirl. The kitchen uses local suppliers for fish, vegetables, potatoes, bread, meat, wine and desserts to create a really quite good menu that includes so so crispy fish and chips without a hint of grease and even charcoal grilled fish – if you’re trying to be good. Well worth a visit.
3.The Golden Galleon, Aldeburgh
- 1 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 2 Town take up contract options on duo with plenty of departures still expected
- 3 Chambers and Skuse set to be headline exits on day of departures at Ipswich Town
- 4 Suffolk estate which featured on TV show on the market for £1.25m
- 5 Mark Heath: The Town players Cook should keep and release today
- 6 Town confirm four more exits at end of season
- 7 Chambers and Skuse to leave Ipswich Town
- 8 Man in 20s dies in collision between lorry and pedestrian on A14
- 9 New cocktail bar and tapas restaurant to open in Ipswich
- 10 Search for man after girl, 10, accosted at B&M store in Stowmarket
A favourite in Suffolk for locals and holidaymakers. Be prepared to queue (especially on warmer days) for the juicy East Coast fish, savoury batter and dry, crisp chips. Of course, you HAVE to eat these on the sea wall to the sound of the waves battering the pebbly beach.
4.The Codfather, Sudbury
Recently extended to enlarge the restaurant, these are easily the best fish and chips in the area with a great flavour and texture. Homemade pies and proper sausages are available too.
5.Halesworth Fish and Chips, Halesworth
A friendly family run shop that prides itself on using natural and, where possible, locally-sourced ingredients – including decent quality Blythburgh pork sausages. The first Saturday of the month is gluten-free day!
Did we miss out your favourite? Tell us about your favourite fish and chip shop @eadt24 #bestchipsinsuffolk