Search

Asbestos contact from husband’s overalls caused death to wife 25 years after his retirement

PUBLISHED: 09:30 14 February 2017

Beacon House in Ipswich where the inquest was held. Picture: Jason Noble

Beacon House in Ipswich where the inquest was held. Picture: Jason Noble

Archant

A retired chef living in West Row, near Bury St Edmunds, died as a result of lung disease from exposure to asbestos, an inquest has concluded.

Jill Moore, 71, of Hoddesdon in Hertforshire had been living with her daughter-in-law Sue Preston in West Row during the final months of her life, due to her deteriorating health, and died on November 11 2016.

The inquest, held at Beacon House in Ipswich, heard that prolonged exposure to asbestos on her husband Brian Moore’s overalls during his work as a mechanic between 1965 and 1990, had caused mesothelioma diagnosed in November 2015.

Mr Moore had worked on car parts such as brakes and transmissions containing asbestos, with dust and residue remaining on his overalls which Mrs Moore would have inhaled while washing.

Her family described her as “full of life” and “a fighter”.

Assistant coroner Kevin McCarthy recorded a conclusion of industrial disease as a result of severe lung disease.

If you value what this gives you, please consider supporting our work. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the East Anglian Daily Times