Attempted murder probe continues into Essex garden fire
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2017
Police have launched an attempted murder investigation following a garden fire in Essex.
Officers were called at 10.50am on Tuesday to reports of a man and woman suffering serious burns following a disturbance in the garden of a property in Boyce Green, Benfleet.
A 50-year-old man, arrested at the scene on suspicion of attempted murder, died from his injuries in hospital. A postmortem is due to be carried out to establish the cause of his death.
A woman in her 70s remains in a critical condition in hospital.
Senior investigating officer DCI Daniel Stoten, of Kent and Essex’s serious crime directorate, said: “Our investigation has progressed, and after talking to witnesses and making enquiries at the scene, we believe this was a deliberate act.
You may also want to watch:
“Sadly, a man we wanted to talk about this incident has died from his injuries.
“We are confident that we are not looking for anyone else in connection with this incident but are still trying to establish what happened.”
- 1 Flooding leaves main route through town 'impassable'
- 2 Man arrested after car crashes into supermarket sign
- 3 Emotional moment as family decides to cease farming in-hand
- 4 New online booking system for Suffolk recycling centres
- 5 A14 reopens after serious crash leaves road closed for several hours
- 6 Fuller Flavour: Can we sign Bonne permanently, please?
- 7 Motorcyclist suffers serious injuries in A14 crash
- 8 'We are sorry' - Council apologises for letting SEND children in Suffolk down
- 9 5 roadworks to be aware of in Suffolk this week
- 10 Winners and Losers: The boss, two commendations, absent friends and remaining winless wonders
Police believe there were a number of people in the area, including golfers at a nearby golf club.
If you were in the area between 6am and 11am, and have information, call 101 quoting incident 311 of 13/03, or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.