Avid collector Paul’s sound idea finds a permanent home
- Credit: Archant
A vintage radio enthusiast has fulfilled his dream of opening a ‘museum of sound’.
Paul Goodchild, from Great Waldingfield, has finally found a home for his collection of 500-plus radios, gramophones and televisions at the former United Reformed Church in the nearby village of Monks Eleigh.
Mr Goodchild, who founded the Monks Eleigh Bygones and Collectors’ Club nearly 30 years ago, had gradually been amassing and restoring the vintage equipment over the past five years since his obsession began with a single purchase at a car boot sale.
He transformed his garden shed into a mini-museum after the collection threatened to overwhelm his house and was later forced to expand the outbuildings.
He opened up the display to the public once a year to raise money for charity but dearly wanted to find a permanent place where people could peruse the many treasures. The Museum of Sound, in Monks Eleigh’s main street, is now open on the first Sunday of every month from 10.30am-4pm.
Exhibits include a 1953 Pye TV like the one Mr Goodchild watched the Queen’s Coronation on when he was a boy.