Man remains in custody after woman in 40s dies following shooting
- Credit: Archant
A man remains in custody after he was arrested on suspicion of murder following the death of a woman in her 40s at a house in Barham.
Police were called shortly before 4.45am on Sunday, May 3, to reports that a woman had been shot within a property in the village of Barham, near Ipswich.
On arrival at the premises, officers discovered a woman, aged in her 40s, had suffered serious injuries.
She was taken to Ipswich Hospital by ambulance in a critical condition, and sadly died a short time later.
A 51-year-old man was subsequently arrested on suspicion of murder and was taken to Bury St Edmunds Police Investigation Centre for questioning.
A police cordon was still in place at the rural property on Sunday evening with officers standing guard outside the home while investigations were carried out.
A number of vehicles, including those belonging to forensics, were also at the scene with evidence bags reportedly seen being loaded into police cars.
- 1 Road near A14 closed after 'serious' two-vehicle crash
- 2 Flood alert issued for parts of Suffolk coastline
- 3 Colchester sack Mullins as ex-Town defender takes interim charge of U's
- 4 Van driver in his 20s dies in Elmswell crash
- 5 Man with foot fetish jailed for sexually assaulting women
- 6 Nine Ipswich players who could follow Nsiala out the door this month
- 7 See inside £1.25m bungalow for sale in one of Suffolk's 'poshest' villages
- 8 'We thought he could be someone special' - Comolli on McKenna's start in coaching
- 9 Walton completes permanent move to Ipswich Town
- 10 Town working on loan deal for Bristol City midfielder
Members of the local community also expressed their sadness at the news.
Stephen Carr, chairman of Barham Parish Council, said he was totally shocked by the news of the woman’s death, which happened in a “close knit” area of the village.
“It’s a very quiet place,” said Mr Carr.
“We were totally surprised. It’s not normal in Barham.”