Barham: Thatched cottage blaze
Firefighters tackled a major blaze at a thatched cottage in Suffolk last night.
Eight firecrews were called to Sharpstone Street, Barham, near Ipswich.
They went to the cottage, near the Sorrell Horse public house, at just after 5.30pm last night.
A fire service spokeswoman said the roof of the cottage was well alight and salvage work was carried out on property. Firefighters also stripped thatch from the roof to tackle the blaze.
Firecrews from Ipswich, Stowmarket, Debenham, Elmswell, Neeham Market and an aerial turntable ladder from Colchester went to the scene.
You may also want to watch:
They battled the fire for about five hours to extinguish the flames, stripping the thatch from the roof to ensure no hotspots were hidden.
By 10.15pm the majority of crews had left the scene and a crew from Orford stayed to watch for any sparks re-igniting.
- 1 Six senior players - including Downes - will start pre-season with Under-23s
- 2 'We're working tirelessly... I'm hopeful of new signings fairly shortly' - Town CEO Ashton on transfers
- 3 Ipswich Town's 2021/22 League One fixtures revealed as Blues start at home
- 4 Town show Jacobs interest but injury holds up potential deal
- 5 Man arrested after more than 80 vehicles checked on day of action
- 6 New beginnings, old faces and a return home - what to look for on 'fixtures day'
- 7 Tattoo studio owner fined after refusing to close in lockdown
- 8 A&E under pressure as patient levels return to pre-pandemic levels
- 9 Sam Smith spotted in Suffolk - and could be recording a new album
- 10 A12 reopens after three-vehicle crash