What a hoot – gardener snaps owl on camera
- Credit: Archant
A gardener frantically snapped this rare photo when a barn owl flew towards him.
Andrew Hawes was busy winter pruning in the meadows in Great Glemham when he became aware of a hovering barn owl.
He kept perfectly still by the shed door, but soon realised the owl, which is a hunting bird of prey, was flying towards him.
He said: “I was frantically trying to get my phone out of my pocket as I thought the owl was coming into the shed.
“Silently she made her final approach and snap, snap, snap, I got her – when I checked the images it was almost like she allowed me to take a photo of her at her work.”
You may also want to watch:
According to Mr Hayes, hoo was trimming overgrown branches at first light, it’s not that often that you can see barn owls flying during day light.
He added: “Obviously the hunt for food was urgent, she must have known that the snow is imminent.
- 1 Major police probe after man and woman found dead in Woodbridge
- 2 National Trust 'deeply saddened' at death of volunteers in Woodbridge incident
- 3 Murder-suicide probe after couple found dead in Woodbridge
- 4 Woman dies after car collides with tree in Leiston
- 5 Forensic teams at Woodbridge house after 'incident'
- 6 Tudor farmhouse with separate annexe is again for sale for £1.275m
- 7 Police cordon after man in 20s found outside Ipswich flats dies
- 8 Here's what Bristol City boss Pearson said about CEO Ashton being linked to Town
- 9 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 0-0 home draw with MK Dons
- 10 Suffolk holiday accommodation reaching capacity ahead of re-opening
“The barn owl is an awesome hunting bird of prey and one of my favourites thanks to mother nature.”