Battle of Britain veteran from East Anglia is on Prince Harry’s Christmas card
- Credit: PA
Prince Harry has chosen a picture of himself with a Battle of Britain veteran from East Anglia as the image for his Christmas card.
In the picture Harry is clasping the hand of 95-year-old Tom Neil, an ex-wing commander and Hurricane and Spitfire pilot who lives near Bungay, who fought in the famous aerial battle.
The photograph was taken on the day a Battle of Britain flypast was held to mark the 75th anniversary of the conflict.
The Prince celebrated his 31st birthday that day - September 15 - and was due to fly in one of four two-seater Spitfires taking part.
But when one of the vintage aircraft developed mechanical problems he stepped aside and allowed Mr Neil to have his place.
You may also want to watch:
During the event a total of 33 Spitfires, Hurricanes and Bristol Blenheim bombers flew from Goodwood Aerodrome in West Sussex before dispersing across wartime airfields over the South of England.
A Kensington Palace spokesman said: “Prince Harry has chosen this photograph with Battle of Britain veteran Tom Neil for his Christmas card.
- 1 Police confirm body found in River Orwell was of a 17-year-old boy
- 2 Body found in the River Orwell
- 3 Could any released Bristol City players reunite with Ashton at Ipswich?
- 4 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues 'eye' Sheffield Wednesday midfielder
- 5 Exit Interview: Nydam showed 'heart, desire and hunger' but was never able to take the next step
- 6 Town looking into Portman Road safe standing area ahead of new season
- 7 Wrong way A12 driver flees scene after causing crash
- 8 Man in 30s airlifted to hospital following serious fall
- 9 Reduce your dementia risk with 7 lifestyle changes
- 10 Woman who posed as food bank staff steals Easter eggs from Morrisons
“He considered it a great honour to meet Tom during the Battle of Britain flypast in September. It was one of his most memorable moments of 2015.”
The picture was taken by the Press Association’s veteran royal photographer John Stillwell.