‘Beautiful’ Amy Vigus from Colchester died after taking MDMA at music festival, inquest hears
- Credit: Archant
An inquest has opened into the death of a 20-year-old Colchester woman who died after taking ecstasy at a music festival in London.
Popular Amy Vigus collapsed at home on August 19 after taking MDMA at Elrow festival in east London.
She fought for her life in intensive care at Colchester General Hospital but later died on August 21.
Her heartbroken family made a video warning others of the dangers of drug taking shortly after her death.
Essex Coroner’s Court heard today that Miss Vigus died from a hypoxic brain injury.
You may also want to watch:
Post mortem results also showed her death was contributed to by taking MDMA.
Coroner’s officer Ria Hill adjourned the hearing, hosted in Chelmsford, until next month when a full inquest will take place.
- 1 Andy's Angles: Six observations after Ipswich Town's 2-1 win over Fleetwood
- 2 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 3 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Suffolk
- 4 'Unique' café with 250 plus board games to play will open soon
- 5 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 6 How Suffolk are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 7 Hadleigh home with loo in master bedroom hits the market
- 8 Business units set to be converted into new seafront flats
- 9 'One of the favourites for the division' - Fleetwood boss Grayson on Town
- 10 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies
She said: “On the 19th of August 2017, this 20-year-old lady attended a music festival in east London where she ingested controlled drugs, namely MDMA, more commonly known as ecstasy.
“On the 20th of August 2017, she collapsed at home following (a) respiratory arrest and was admitted to hospital where her death was confirmed.”
• ‘Think about our Amy’ – millions watch family’s drug warning video after death of ‘cheeky and caring’ Colchester woman Amy VigusMiss Vigus’ family paid tribute to the “beautiful” and “caring” former Gilberd School pupil with their warning video, which was watched millions of times.
Called Our Amy, the four minute clip tells viewers what happened to her in a bid to make people think twice about taking drugs.
The video’s voiceover, believed to be Amy’s cousin, says: “In a moment of madness she took an unknown substance she was led to believe was the party drug MDMA.
“She continued to socialise and smile then she began to pay for her mistake.
“Amy’s body rejected whatever unknown substance she had taken.
“This led to her being violently sick and fitting multiple times.
“Our Amy managed to make it home where she collapsed one more time.”
The voiceover adds: “In that moment of madness when she took an unknown substance our Amy had no idea it would have led to this.
“She will not be celebrating Christmas anymore, she will not be celebrating her 21st birthday.
“She will never know the pain she has caused.
“The next time you’re in that moment, please, stop and think about our Amy and the consequences of her mistake.”