Beccles illuminated with festive cheer at Christmas lights switch on
- Credit: Nick Butcher
The festive season kicked off in style as hundreds gathered in the centre of Beccles to celebrate the Christmas lights switch on.
Congregating in front of the main stage the large crowd were showered with fake snow as Dave Taylor from Heart Radio took charge of proceedings.
The honour of turning on the lights fell to the cast of this year’s Beccles pantomime Robin Hood and reigning mayor Richard Stubbings.
Mr Stubbings said: “It’s great to see so many people in the town and see it all so vibrant.
“There is a lovely atmosphere with all the parents and children milling around.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s so nice to see the town buzzing. The switch on is a real attraction for Beccles and one that we can build on.”
The switch on also signals the launch of the Beccles Christmas Tree Trail, which will run until December 23. This year 63 businesses will be displaying decorated trees around the town as part of the trail.
- 1 A12 reopens after serious collision
- 2 Our Ipswich Town predictions: Top scorer, best player, where they'll finish and more
- 3 Man dies in two-car crash on A12
- 4 Film crews begin shooting Amazon show in Suffolk village
- 5 'There won't be a better group of strikers in the league' - Jeffers on Town's firepower
- 6 Dog-friendly pub set to reopen in east Suffolk after major revamp
- 7 Family 'devastated' after elderly man's Reliant Robin tipped over
- 8 Covid-19 outbreak at hotel 'goes back to Latitude' - but guests not pinged
- 9 GP warns of 'Latitude effect' as cases rise among young people
- 10 Woman in 20s dies in single car crash on A12 in Suffolk
The doors also opened to the Christmas Tree Festival at Hungate Church, which will run until Sunday.