Bentwaters: Museum throws open doors tomorrow for start of new season
- Credit: Contributed
MILITARY enthusiasts are promising a variety of new exhibitions – including fighter jets and alien trails – as their attraction opens its doors for the new season.
Bentwaters Cold War Museum, at the former USAF base at Bentwaters airfield, in Rendlesham, near Woodbridge, will welcome visitors for the first time this year on Easter Sunday and Monday.
The team has been working hard behind the scenes and have a number of new exhibits for 2013. It includes a Harrier GR3, which has been repainted in the colours it wore while assigned to IV(AC) Sqn at RAF Gütersloh in West Germany during the late-1980s.
There is also an exhibit on the support squadrons that provided vital back-up to the 81st TFW during its time at Bentwaters. The material includes information on civil engineering, equipment maintenance, aircraft generation and component repair. There is also a new section dedicated to those who went missing in action.
For younger visitors there is a “crashed” UFO and alien trail that leads them through the museum on the hunt for the craft’s missing crew. For a short time only members of the public will also be able to see an alien “discovery” buried within the woods on the perimeter of the airbase.
You may also want to watch:
Other displays include the “war operations room”, “battle cabin” and exhibitions covering the history of RAF Bentwaters.
The museum is open on first and third Sundays as well as Bank Holidays. Entry fees apply but children can visit free.
- 1 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 2 Tories retain Suffolk County Council control - but Greens make huge gains
- 3 Poorly rated Chick King takeaway goes into liquidation
- 4 When Ipswich boss Cook will inform players of his contract decisions
- 5 Police identify elderly man after incident involving young girl in village
- 6 Election 2021: Ipswich Borough Council results
- 7 Why Cook has given Norwood Ipswich Town's captain's armband
- 8 A weekend of potential departures as Town finish up their disappointing season
- 9 'Masterpiece' modernist home with panoramic sea views for sale for £850,000
- 10 Campervan ban lifted in 12 car parks by the coast