Nostalgia: Do you remember the Bentwaters open day?
- Credit: Archant
Tens of thousands of people would attend the annual open day at the USAF base at Bentwaters – a chance to get up close to the very latest military technology.
The event was one of Suffolk’s most popular and a huge loss to the county’s calendar when the former RAF base closed in 1993 and the 81st Tactical Fighter Wing departed.
Our pictures here come from the event in 1979 when the public enjoyed a thrilling day at the huge airfield near Rendlesham.
Visitors enjoyed meeting the USAF airmen, taking part in a wide range of American games, food and activities, and the opportunity to see static fighter jets and other aircraft and even climb inside the cockpits.
One of the biggest attractions was the demonstrations and a series of flying displays.
You may also want to watch:
Did you attend the event in 1979 or do you recognise anyone in these photos? Share your memories by contacting email@example.com
- 1 Film crews shooting new Netflix film in Suffolk village
- 2 Lorry overturns after crashing into office building - warning over delays
- 3 Aldi to open 100 new supermarkets with eyes on four towns in Suffolk
- 4 Tankers on their way to Suffolk as the government unveils action plan
- 5 Town sign 6ft 5ins striker as Nsiala, Jackson and Barry all start for U23s
- 6 'Outstanding' former Ipswich teachers leave £2million to charities in will
- 7 Seven spots to visit on the Suffolk Coast this autumn
- 8 Two mega prisons for 3,500 inmates set to be built near RAF base
- 9 Five people injured in 'violent disorder' at Newmarket racecourse
- 10 Louis Theroux documentary on White House Farm murder premieres tonight