Bid to destroy council 'from within'
A FORMER borough secretary is planning on destroying a town council from within by becoming a councillor in a by-election next month.Roy Bebbington, 63, of Heldhaw Road, is standing for the vacant Eastgate ward seat on Bury St Edmunds Town Council in November in a bid to eventually abolish it entirely.
A FORMER borough secretary is planning on destroying a town council from within by becoming a councillor in a by-election next month.
Roy Bebbington, 63, of Heldhaw Road, is standing for the vacant Eastgate ward seat on Bury St Edmunds Town Council in November in a bid to eventually abolish it entirely.
The former borough secretary for St Edmundsbury Borough Council has said he thinks the town council is pointless and is a waste of council tax money.
He said: “I have already got 17 candidates who are willing to stand as councillors in the May elections and if we get even nine of the seats we will have control.
You may also want to watch:
“If that happens we will start to wind the council up - the only legal requirements are for the council to meet four times a year, which will be fine with no business to attend to.
“Then eventually we want to return no council tax budget at all.”
- 1 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 2 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 3 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 4 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired
- 5 Widow: 'Heartless' council won't allow extra 4 inches for my husband's headstone
- 6 A140 closed in both directions after two vehicle crash
- 7 Suffolk shop wins 'Boutique Clothing Store of the Year'
- 8 'I've got goosebumps... I've been blown away' - Town owner Johnson excited for first Portman Road game
- 9 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 10 Warning of seasonal canine disorder after dachshund Trudie taken ill
Mr Bebbington said he is planning on getting rid of all the committees and full council meetings, apart from what is legally required.
“I think it is a complete waste of time and I know there are a lot of people in the town that agree with me,” he added.
“A lot of people don't realise they pay council tax to the town council for its services and salaries.”
Bury Town Council was created in 2001 after a postal referendum showed 70% of those who turned out to vote wanted a town council.
Mr Bebbington had his own poll earlier this year, which showed 70% were in support of abolishing the town council.
He said: “Standing for the Eastgate ward will be an interesting test of public opinion.”
Candidates for the by-election on November 15 are Roy Bebbington, Clifford Hind for Labour and Christopher Turner for Conservative.