Biker killed in collision with car
A MOTORCYCLIST was killed last night when his machine collided with a car in Brandon.The male biker, who has not been named, died at the scene.The female car driver managed to escape unhurt before her car burst into flames.
A MOTORCYCLIST was killed last night when his machine collided with a car in Brandon.
The male biker, who has not been named, died at the scene.
The female car driver managed to escape unhurt before her car burst into flames.
Emergency services were called to Rattler's Road in the town just before 7.15pm after reports of the crash, which was between a Triumph motorcycle and a black Audi car.
Paramedics did not have the chance to save the motorcyclist, who was in his 30s and from the Brandon area. Police told some family members of his death last night and were continuing to contact others.
The female car driver did not require any treatment after scrambling clear of the vehicle before the flames took hold.
- 1 Police cordon off Stowmarket dentist after break-in
- 2 'Calm, graceful and kind': Tributes paid to martial arts world champion
- 3 Watch: Celina's wonder goal against Crewe
- 4 Dedicated daughter steps up after tragic death of 'amazing' mum Heidi
- 5 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
- 6 Stu says: Six observations following Town's 2-1 win against Crewe
- 7 5 roadworks for Suffolk motorists to plan their journeys around this week
- 8 Truck overturns on wet, slippery road near Stowmarket
- 9 Fire breaks out at British Sugar Factory
- 10 North Stander: We are where we deserve to be... and the play-offs look a long way off
Firefighters from the retained Brandon station used one hose reel and two breathing apparatus to bring the blaze under control by 8pm.
A spokeswoman for Suffolk Fire Service said the fire crew was not required to release the driver from her car.
An ambulance crew and a community paramedic attended the accident, which happened opposite the entrance to Stuart Close, but were not needed.
The residential road, which runs between Norwich Road and London, was sealed off as investigators looked into the cause of the accident. It was reopened by police at 10.30pm
Insp Martin Barnes-Smith, of Suffolk police, said: "Both vehicles were burnt in the accident, but the death wasn't a result of fire.
"The male motorcyclist died instantly at the scene from his injuries and paramedics did not have the chance to save him.
"The lady driver of the Audi managed to climb out of the car before the flames got too serious and was not injured."
He said police would like to hear from any witnesses to the accident, especially another motorcyclist who was not connected with the incident.
The biker being sought was travelling in the opposite direction along Rattler's Road at about the time of the fatal crash.
Anyone with information is asked to call Pc Sarah Nichols at the Bury St Edmunds traffic unit on 01284 774153.