Biker killed in collision with car
A MOTORCYCLIST was killed last night when his machine collided with a car in Brandon.The male biker, who has not been named, died at the scene.The female car driver managed to escape unhurt before her car burst into flames.
A MOTORCYCLIST was killed last night when his machine collided with a car in Brandon.
The male biker, who has not been named, died at the scene.
The female car driver managed to escape unhurt before her car burst into flames.
Emergency services were called to Rattler's Road in the town just before 7.15pm after reports of the crash, which was between a Triumph motorcycle and a black Audi car.
You may also want to watch:
Paramedics did not have the chance to save the motorcyclist, who was in his 30s and from the Brandon area. Police told some family members of his death last night and were continuing to contact others.
The female car driver did not require any treatment after scrambling clear of the vehicle before the flames took hold.
- 1 'Our fund is $13 billion and we’re holding $700m in cash' - The money behind Ipswich Town's new owners
- 2 Serious crash closes road in Bury St Edmunds near A14
- 3 Woman arrested on suspicion of drink-driving following A14 crash
- 4 Ipswich Town closing in on appointment of new chief executive
- 5 'Buzz' about town as pub prepares to reopen under new family management
- 6 Woodbridge community 'saddened' after couple found dead by police
- 7 Murder-suicide probe after couple found dead in Woodbridge
- 8 'You either deliver or you leave' - Cook's message to Town players
- 9 Disused village Post Office reopening as deli and coffee house
- 10 'It's time to embrace a new challenge' - New Ipswich chief announces Bristol City exit
Firefighters from the retained Brandon station used one hose reel and two breathing apparatus to bring the blaze under control by 8pm.
A spokeswoman for Suffolk Fire Service said the fire crew was not required to release the driver from her car.
An ambulance crew and a community paramedic attended the accident, which happened opposite the entrance to Stuart Close, but were not needed.
The residential road, which runs between Norwich Road and London, was sealed off as investigators looked into the cause of the accident. It was reopened by police at 10.30pm
Insp Martin Barnes-Smith, of Suffolk police, said: "Both vehicles were burnt in the accident, but the death wasn't a result of fire.
"The male motorcyclist died instantly at the scene from his injuries and paramedics did not have the chance to save him.
"The lady driver of the Audi managed to climb out of the car before the flames got too serious and was not injured."
He said police would like to hear from any witnesses to the accident, especially another motorcyclist who was not connected with the incident.
The biker being sought was travelling in the opposite direction along Rattler's Road at about the time of the fatal crash.
Anyone with information is asked to call Pc Sarah Nichols at the Bury St Edmunds traffic unit on 01284 774153.