Bildeston/Hadleigh: Rugby player Joshua died of natural causes
- Credit: Archant
A RUGBY player collapsed and died in Australia after flying out to visit his critically-ill mother in a double tragedy, an inquest heard.
Father-of-one Joshua Rix, 23, of Newbury Road, Bildeston, died on January 12 after travelling to Perth in Western Australia to be with his seriously-ill mother.
His parents, Nick and Judy, had travelled Down Under to visit their daughter Rebecca and while there Mr Rix’s mother suffered a stroke and was admitted to hospital.
The inquest was told Mr Rix and his brother, Tim, rushed to be with their parents but their mother had suffered a second stroke and died just four hours before they touched down.
A few days later, the day after his mother was cremated, Mr Rix collapsed and died. Greater Suffolk coroner Dr Peter Dean said post-mortem examinations were carried out in Australia and in the UK.
The post mortem in Australia showed Mr Rix had an enlarged heart, congested lungs and a high BMI (body mass index) and gave natural causes as the reason for death.
A statement from Dr John Flather, of Hadleigh and Boxford group practice, which was read by Dr Dean, described Mr Rix as a “keen rugby and cricket player”. The last time he visited his GP was in November 2012 for a rugby injury.
- 1 'Emotions are high' - McGreal on ugly scenes following Charlton loss
- 2 Suffolk bin collection changes this Christmas: All you need to know
- 3 First case of Omicron confirmed in Suffolk with 16 more suspected
- 4 Fallen trees block Suffolk roads as Storm Barra batters region
- 5 Stu says: Five observations following Town's 2-0 loss at Charlton
- 6 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in Charlton loss
- 7 Ex-Celtic boss Lennon linked with Town job
- 8 Person dies in Ipswich house fire
- 9 A14 closed in both directions near Ipswich after four-vehicle crash
- 10 Charlton Athletic 2-0 Ipswich Town: Limp Blues soundly beaten
The UK post mortem revealed Mr Rix died from cardiomyopathy – a thickening of the heart muscle.
Dr Dean said: “The cause of death in these tragic circumstances was sudden and unexpected. Our thoughts are very much with his family at this time following this double tragedy.”
Mr Rix, who went to Hadleigh High School, was a keen sportsman and played as prop for Sudbury Rugby Club and for Hadleigh Cricket Club during the summer.
He leaves behind his partner Mel and son Alfie as well as family in Hadleigh.