Bill's surprise at bizarre giant carrot
FOR the past 17 years Bill Cole has been growing vegetables at his allotment in Capel St Mary.But when the 83-year-old pulled up the last of his carrots recently, he had quite a shock.
FOR the past 17 years Bill Cole has been growing vegetables at his allotment in Capel St Mary.
But when the 83-year-old pulled up the last of his carrots recently, he had quite a shock. Instead of the usual slender carrot which wouldn't look out of place in a supermarket, he pulled up this unusual whopper.
“I was taking up the last of the carrots and this was the final one that I got to,” said Mr Cole, who lives in Copdock.
“I could not believe it and said 'oh my God'. I have never seen anything this big before.”
According to Mr Cole, the giant carrot weighs about six-and-a-half pounds and he intends to enjoy every last bit of it.
- 1 Major west Suffolk road reopens after lorry and car crash
- 2 McGreal named interim boss as Cook's coaches all depart
- 3 The early betting favourites to be the next Town boss
- 4 Will it be another lockdown Christmas?
- 5 Trio jailed as travellers' site shooting described as 'like a movie scene'
- 6 Member of staff assaulted in armed robbery at west Suffolk Post Office
- 7 'It was unanimous... this season's not dead' - Ashton on why Town sacked Cook
- 8 Ashton on whether a new boss is lined up, the type of manager he's searching for, possible reunions and Town's timeframe for an appointment
- 9 Morsy on 'shock' of Cook sacking and McGreal's message
- 10 The best fossil hunting spots across East Anglia
“I will just cut it up and have it for dinner, although I think I will get several dinners out of it. I imagine it might taste a bit woody.”
And the key to the giant carrot's size? “It's probably because it has some good muck underneath it,” he said.