Blaxhall: Festival brew bears Cobbold name
PUBLISHED: 08:45 12 July 2013
A one-man microbrewery has revived a famous Suffolk name with the launch of a summer ale in honour of the upcoming FolkEast festival.
Marc Bartram of Bury St Edmunds based Bartram’s Brewery concocted the first ale to bear the Cobbold name since 1957 in preparation for this year’s folk music event at the Glemham Hall Estate.
Mr Bartram opened a cask at the Blaxhall Ship Inn, near Snape, where he was joined by current estate owner Major Phillip Hope-Cobbold, FolkEast organisers John and Becky Marshall-Potter, and Nigel Smith of CAMRA (Campaign for Real Ale).
The Cobbold brand dates back to the early 1700s and the opening of the original brewery at Harwich.
In 1957, Cobbold merged with Tollemache’s Breweries to become Tolly Cobbold, which was bought in 2002 by Ridley’s.
In 1923, Captain John Murray Cobbold, who established Ipswich Town as a professional football club, moved into Glemham Hall with his wife, Lady Blanche, a daughter of the 9th Duke of Devonshire.
The 300 acre estate is now owned by Major Hope-Cobbold and his family, and is also home to the annual FolkEast festival.
FolkEast co-director, John Marshall-Potter, said: “Brewing is an integral part of Folk culture - it’s been the drink of the people for centuries.
“We wanted to highlight the area’s folk heritage with Marc’s one-off ale.
“It connects the Cobbold family’s heritage with the folk festival they’re hosting - and it’s all produced by a fantastic local brewer.”
The Cobbold FolkEast Festival Ale will be available in selected outlets across East Anglia.
FolkEast runs from August 23 to 25 at the Glemham Estate.
Acts include Steeleye Span, Penguin Cafe, Eliza Carthy and Jim Moray, The Wayward Tour and the Ukelele Orchestra of Great Britain.
For more information visit the festival website at folkeast.co.uk.
A FolkEast fringe will be held at the Blaxhall Ship over the same weekend.