Blaze at Suffolk fish and chip shop

MORE than a dozen firefighters tackled a blaze at a Suffolk fish and chip shop today.

HOT batter thrown into a bin at a fish and chip shop in Suffolk led to a fire breaking out early this morning.

More than a dozen firefighters were called to tackle the blaze at the West End chip shop in Out Westgate, Bury St Edmunds shortly before 8am.

Three crews from the town used breathing equipment and a hose reel jet to successfully extinguish the flames and bring the fire under control.

A spokesman for Suffolk Fire Service said there was a fire in the building and the property was heavily smoke logged.


You may also want to watch:


He said firefighters had to force entry into the shop to tackle the blaze, which was put out within about 25 minutes.

There were no people injured in the incident but the road was blocked for a short time while crews brought the incident under control.

Most Read

Shop owner Danny Kan said the incident had been caused after hot batter was left in a bin on the premises. He said no real damage had been done and expected business as usual over the rest of the weekend.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus