Blaze destroys two storey house
A FIRE thought to have been started by renovation work engulfed two semi-detached houses, although a nearby thatched cottage escaped undamaged.
Firefighters were called to the blaze in The Causeway, Toppesfield, at 10.25am yesterday, which destroyed the roof and left the first floor severely damaged.
The semi-detached properties were undergoing refurbishment work to the outside of the roof when the fire broke out.
Fire crews from Sible Hedingham, Wethersfield, Halstead and Clare attended the blaze, but could not enter the property until overhead electricity cables had been switched off.
Greg Keys, assistant divisional officer for Essex Fire Service, said: “Once they isolated the supply, we could get our crews up to fight the fire from above with ladders.
You may also want to watch:
“We put some covering jets in place for a thatched cottage next door because obviously there was a big risk of that catching fire, so one of our first priorities was to restrict any fire spreading to properties in close proximity.
“The roof is almost completely gone and there is extensive damage to the first floor.”
- 1 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 2 Man in hospital with serious injuries after Suffolk stabbing
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues linked with 'ambitious move' for striker
- 4 Community in shock after stabbing on Suffolk estate
- 5 Former Town star's son scores to help Hartlepool secure dramatic return to EFL
- 6 Pub demolition plans generate 150-plus objections in a week
- 7 No starts, sarcastic cheers and a quick profit - A look back at Kieffer Moore's time at Town
- 8 Patient in 90s will fight Ipswich Hospital parking fine
- 9 Couple launch smoked meat business after impressing at family BBQs
- 10 Councils to be given powers to fine drivers £70
Mr Keys added: “We would like to remind people to be extra vigilant when undertaking any paint stripping using blow torches when redecorating.
“Fires can start and burn for some time and people may not even be aware of it until it becomes quite a well developed fire.”