Blaze involving 150 tonnes of mixed domestic waste at transfer station in Bentley
- Credit: Archant
Around 150 tonnes of “mixed domestic waste” caught on fire in Suffolk this morning.
Two fire engines were called at 7am to tackle the blaze at a “transfer station” in Station Road, Bentley, a fire brigade spokesman said.
He said: “It involved approximately 150 tonnes of mixed domestic waste.
“Two hose reel jets are in use to damp down and on-site diggers are being used to remove rubbish.
“A water carrier from Leiston is also in attendance to assist with water supplies.
You may also want to watch:
“This will be a protracted incident and further details will be added at a later time.”
A Suffolk Constabulary spokesman said the force was not made aware of the fire.
- 1 Tories retain Suffolk County Council control - but Greens make huge gains
- 2 A weekend of potential departures as Town finish up their disappointing season
- 3 Joy as council reverses ban on motorhomes in car parks
- 4 Poorly rated Chick King takeaway goes into liquidation
- 5 'Masterpiece' modernist home with panoramic sea views for sale for £850,000
- 6 See inside beautiful stately home near Ipswich - for one day only
- 7 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 8 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 9 Bookings now open for unique new Suffolk dining experience
- 10 Plans to convert pub into block of holiday lets withdrawn
A Suffolk County Council spokesman said it is not a transfer station owned by the authority.
A spokeswoman for Essex County Fire and Rescue Service said one water bowser from Halstead also attended the incident.
The incident was closed at 5.30pm.