Blaze leaves 69-year-old man homeless
Pensioner suffers burns and smoke inhalation in fire at his house
A PENSIONER has been made homeless after a blaze which raged throughout the night.
Firefighters were called to the property in the Great Saling, near Braintree, just before 11.30pm last night after the blaze broke out in the downstairs area.
Five crews tackled the fire which spread to the first floor and into the roof and finally managed to put it out nearly seven hours later at 6.15am.
A 69-year-old man suffered smoke inhalation and a burn during the incident and was left in the care of the ambulance service.
You may also want to watch:
A crew remained at the house this morning damping down.
It is not known at this stage what caused the blaze but a fire service spokesman confirmed the house has been left “uninhabitable”.
- 1 Ipswich Town face fight to keep young midfielder Gibbs with rivals Norwich among interested clubs
- 2 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
- 3 'Spooky' bushes full of caterpillars spotted near Suffolk roads
- 4 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Portsmouth 'fend off' Blues to agree Stockley deal
- 5 Woman seriously injured in accident on major Ipswich road
- 6 If your surname is on this list you could be sitting on a fortune
- 7 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues 'consider £350k bid' for keeper
- 8 Cyclist hurt in crash with car
- 9 Comedian Jack Whitehall visits Suffolk's 'most incredible' Wilderness Reserve
- 10 'Absolutely the right manager for this football club' - Ashton backs Cook to turn Town around
One crew from Wethersfield, two from Braintree and two from Dunmow attended the fire in The Street area of Great Saling.