Essex community building ‘75% destroyed’ after blaze
- Credit: Archant
An Essex community building has been ravaged by fire following a blaze this morning.
Firefighters were called to the old bowls club in Parkeston around 10.34am and spent nearly an hour tackling the blaze.
The building, which is based in Hamilton Street, was well alight when crews arrived and around 75% has been destroyed.
Essex Fire and Rescue Service said the fire could have been started accidentally or deliberately.
A spokesman for the service said: "On arrival firefighters reported that there was a well developed fire, which appeared to have started from outside and quickly spread to the building due to strong winds.
You may also want to watch:
"Firefighters worked to extinguish the fire by 11.30am.
"The cause of the fire has been recorded as accidental or deliberate both possibilities.
- 1 Map reveals raw sewage overflow into Suffolk rivers
- 2 Controversial north Essex village homes plan set for go-ahead
- 3 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 4 Why is this Suffolk address on Covid lateral flow test boxes?
- 5 'The culture is right' - Johnson leaves Town in good hands after whirlwind trip
- 6 £1million beach village set for approval as part of resort regeneration
- 7 Emergency services conduct search and rescue mission off Harwich coast
- 8 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 9 Town keeper Holy set for emergency loan move
- 10 Affordable homes project proposed for east Suffolk village
"Around 75 per cent of the building has been destroyed by the fire."