Bloor Homes says controversial closure of Woods Lane, Melton was 'deemed necessary'
PUBLISHED: 06:22 29 September 2017
Developers behind controversial Suffolk road closure plans have responded to concerns saying contractors will work long days and weekends to prevent “unreasonable delays”.
Bloor Homes has faced criticism over the closure of Woods Lane in Melton, which will be shut for more than 16 weeks as part of the construction of its 186-home Longwood Fields development.
The closure, which is in two periods, from November 6-30 and January 8-April 13, is feared to cause disruption for people using the route and those in Woodbridge where traffic is to be diverted.
More than 2,000 people have signed a petition calling for compromise over the closure and community leaders have expressed “astonishment” over the alleged lack of consultation.
Bloor Homes has said it is “fully aware of the concerns” and sought to reassure people of its commitment to complete the work as quickly as possible.
Although some residents have suggested part of the road could remain open, Bloor said the extent of its works, meant a full closure had been “deemed necessary”.
The developer said it had investigated “all other options” with Suffolk County Council (SCC).
Bloor has also assured residents emergency vehicles will be able to get through and said workers will do “everything they can” to help residents and businesses get into and out of the site quickly.
The company explained SCC would be monitoring the works to ensure “no unreasonable delays”.
“At the request of SCC, Bloor Homes will ensure its contractors work long days, weekends and only where appropriate, during the night,” a spokesman added.
The developer has faced particular criticism over its alleged failure to consult with parish and town councils. Woodbridge Town Council’s highways chairman Geoff Holdcroft, said it was “astonishing and discourteous” his fellow councillors were told “absolutely nothing” until it was decided.
However Bloor said closures were not subject to consultation and while it aimed to publicise the necessity of the works “there is no legal obligation to do so”.
It also said that by diverting HGV traffic through Ufford along the B1438 and other vehicles through Woodbridge, it would separate the volume of traffic over two routes.
People can report issues to email@example.com or 01284 847931