Blue plaque to be unveiled to honour children’s writer and illustrator Edward Ardizzone on Ipswich Waterfront
- Credit: Archant
A writer and illustrator of children’s books who grew up in Ipswich is to be honoured with a blue plaque unveiling this weekend.
Edward Ardizzone, who was born in 1900 and died in 1979, was responsible for more than 20 children’s books, including the Tim series for which he won the British Library Association’s Kate Greenaway medal for illustration with 1956’s Tim All Alone.
But the celebrated illustrator spent his formative years in Ipswich, having grown up in Gainsborough Road with his two sisters and grandmother, and was educated at Ipswich School.
The blue plaque was organised by the Ipswich Society and promoter Mark Ling, in association with the Ipswich Maritime Trust, where it will be unveiled in Albion Quay on the Waterfront.
Tony Marsden from the Ipswich Society, said: “It has all been in the hands of our promoter Mark Ling who is a great supporter of many things in Ipswich. He has been a real stalwart in making the proposal.
“It’s easy to say let’s put up a plaque but there are queues involved, and quite a lot of work is put on the shoulders of the proposers.”
The unveiling takes place at 12pm on Saturday at the Albion Quay with Edward’s grandson Daniel present.
- 1 Unclaimed £83k winning EuroMillions lottery ticket was bought in Suffolk
- 2 Suffolk glamp site 'perfect for romantic retreats' named among best in UK
- 3 Long-running BBC One show to be filmed in Suffolk church
- 4 Greater Anglia warns of further severe disruptions as more strikes planned
- 5 Police concerned for welfare of missing Suffolk man last seen two weeks ago
- 6 Woman who stole £24k from school and football club to face sentence
- 7 Former town council manager named as woman who died in A11 crash
- 8 A14 closed after crash involving lorry and car
- 9 Revealed: Where house prices are rising fastest in Suffolk
- 10 ‘I think we sell one of the best Sunday roasts in Suffolk,’ says landlord
Also docked will be Thames sailing barge Victor and tugboat Fenland, examples of boats Edward Ardizzone often used in his illustrations.