Body found at 'gas leak' home
INVESTIAGTIONS are continuing into the death of an elderly man whose body was found at his home.The body of Frank Cone, who was in his 80s, was discovered at an address in Woodbridge Road, Ipswich, yesterday.
INVESTIAGTIONS are continuing into the death of an elderly man whose body was found at his home.
The body of Frank Cone, who was in his 80s, was discovered at an address in Woodbridge Road, Ipswich, yesterday.
Firefighters entering the property also found a gas cooker on but there was no leak and it is not believed the pensioner died as a result of inhaling fumes.
Police and fire crews sealed off the road, between the Lattice Barn pub and Cauldwell Hall Road, at about 1pm after neighbours, said they had not seen Mr Cone for days, and reported a strong smell of what was believed to be gas.
You may also want to watch:
Nearby homes and shops were evacuated for fears of an explosion.
The property, which is between the junctions with Schreiber Road and Phoenix Road, was declared safe by firefighters and gas engineers at 1.30pm.
- 1 Couple fear they will never sell home after A12 upgrade outside
- 2 Can Town kick on now? Predictions for the next five league games
- 3 Teen among two arrested in armed police incident
- 4 Suffolk man guilty of raping schoolgirl and facing jail sentence
- 5 Jail for man who threatened to 'do a Raoul Moat' and kill police
- 6 Man airlifted to hospital after suffering serious leg injuries in crash
- 7 'We have formed a successful partnership' - Morsy on his Evans reunion
- 8 Britain's poshest train set to return to Ipswich
- 9 Things to do in Suffolk this weekend with friends and family
- 10 Suffolk shops struggling to secure fresh meat as CO2 concerns deepen
A spokeswoman for Suffolk police said the death was not being treated as suspicious at this stage.
Geoff Pyke, additional divisional officer of the Suffolk Fire Service, said: "Police cordoned off the road because of the risk of an explosion.
"Two crew members entered the building to make it safe. The oven was been isolated and the supply cut.
He said: "The gas cooker was lit but there was no gas leak and it took around five minutes get the situation under control. We also evacuated shops in the area as a precaution."