Body of man, 22, found in River Orwell
- Credit: Archant
A 22-year-old man's body was found in the River Orwell early today.
Officers were called shortly before 5.30am today (Wednesday, June 16), following reports of concern for the safety of a man.
Clothing was discovered on the Orwell Bridge, but police were not able to trace a person, so multi-agency searches commenced involving police, paramedics, Suffolk Fire and Rescue and the coastguard.
Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service said it had provided drone support to assist in the search.
Following the searches, the body of a man was recovered from the River Orwell shortly after 7.40am.
The death is not being treated as suspicious. Police said next of kin have been told and a file will be prepared for the coroner in due course.
If you need help and support, call Norfolk and Suffolk Foundation Trust’s First Response helpline 0808 196 3494 or the Samaritans on 116 123.
- 1 Machinery to be sold following the loss of 'passionate' farmer
- 2 Town co-owner Bakay on future of Portman Road name
- 3 How bride paid £1 for vintage wedding dress
- 4 Band and singer pull out of Latitude Festival due to positive Covid tests
- 5 'I am very, very excited' - Town teenager Gibbs completes Norwich move
- 6 Sought-after Felixstowe beach hut sells for £88K
- 7 5 places to avoid the crowds in Suffolk this summer
- 8 Town Transfer Talk: Latest on Coulson, Crooks, Bishop and Downes
- 9 Empty shelves as 'pingdemic' takes its toll on Suffolk's supply chain
- 10 Bin lorry driver ran over colleague's leg in Kesgrave
Both services are available 24 hours 7 days a week. You can also download the Stay Alive app on Apple and Android.