Bomb squad conduct controlled explosion after ‘unknown chemicals’ found

The bomb squad carried out a controlled explosion after unknown chemicals were found at a property in Woodbridge.

Around 30 homes were evacuated and a 50-metre cordon was put in place after the discovery by police search teams at the address in Bridgewood Road this morning.

Police said the army’s Explosive Ordnance Disposal team removed the item from the premises, and a loud bang was heard by neighbours around 3pm when the controlled explosion took place on nearby Fen Meadow.

One neighbour in the quiet residential street, who did not want to be named, said she was told to leave her house around 11.30am.

She said: “I suppose it was quite a shock when we were asked to leave our homes, it’s not something you expect to happen here.”

There has been a police presence at the same semi-detached property since the weekend when a warrant was executed by police.

MORE: Gun dealer and son denied bail on illegal firearms chargesAnother neighbour, who had lived in Bridgewood Road for around three years and wished to remain anonymous, said: “This is generally a really quiet road.

“It is quite a shock and I’ve got two small children and they keep asking what’s going on.

Most Read

“There’s been a police presence there 24-7 since the weekend.”

Father and son, Crispen Richards, 58, and Philip Richards, 24, appeared in court on Monday accused of firearms offences.

Both men appeared in custody at Suffolk Magistrates’ Court, via video link from Martlesham Heath police investigation centre, charged with with possession of a disguised firearm – namely a walking stick – and possession of a shortened shotgun.

The pair, of Bridgewood Road, Woodbridge, entered no pleas the charges – the most serious of which – possession of a disguised firearm – can only be dealt with before a judge at crown court.

Registered gun dealer Crispen Richards and his son Philip, a ‘servant’ on the licence, were arrested and taken into custody for questioning following a search of the property on Friday and a licence visit to the same premises the previous day.

A spokesman for Suffolk Constabulary said the cordon was lifted following the controlled explosion and thanked local residents for their patience and understanding while the evacuation took place.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter