Borough council blackout chaos
A POWER cut that left its Ipswich Borough Council's Grafton House HQ without phones or Internet access. The authority is facing up to 48 hours without computer access but phones are expected to be back in action this afternoon as EDF engineers work to restore supplies.
A POWER cut that left its Ipswich Borough Council's Grafton House HQ without electricity, phones or Internet access.
The authority is facing up to 48 hours without computer access but phones are expected to be back in action this afternoon as EDF engineers work to restore supplies.
Emergency generators were brought in at lunchtime but the lack of secure supply mean the council has had to suspend online bookings for the Regent Theatre and sports facilities, online benefits enquiries and processing and electronic and car payments.
The council said it was drafting in staff to man emergency phones over the weekend to deal with the backlog of enquiries. The emergency number to call is 01473 432000.
A borough spokesman said: "We have maintained essential services such as Ipswich HEARS alarms and CCTV are unaffected. Vulnerable people must be our priority. Car parks are also unaffected and sports centres and Crown Pools are open for business."
Customers can buy Regent theatre tickets by cash or by cheque and ticket-holders are advised to turn up as normal.
- 1 Police cordon off Stowmarket dentist after break-in
- 2 'Calm, graceful and kind': Tributes paid to martial arts world champion
- 3 Watch: Celina's wonder goal against Crewe
- 4 Dedicated daughter steps up after tragic death of 'amazing' mum Heidi
- 5 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
- 6 Stu says: Six observations following Town's 2-1 win against Crewe
- 7 5 roadworks for Suffolk motorists to plan their journeys around this week
- 8 Truck overturns on wet, slippery road near Stowmarket
- 9 Fire breaks out at British Sugar Factory
- 10 North Stander: We are where we deserve to be... and the play-offs look a long way off
People who booked online and have not yet collected their tickets are asked to take along their confirmation email.
The Customer Services Centre at the Town Hall is open today and will be open tomorrow from 9.30am to 12.30pm to deal with customers' enquiries