Bury St Edmunds restaurant closes its doors less than a year after opening
- Credit: Archant
A Bury St Edmunds restaurant based in a historic town building has closed its doors less than a year after it opened.
Bourgee Restaurants, which has also closed sites in Essex, has been placed into administration, and in a statement the founding directors apologised to customers.
The Bury restaurant opened its doors in May last year at Cupola House in the Traverse.
The Grade I-listed building, which was previously home to Strada restaurant, was fully restored after being destroyed by fire in June 2012.
A statement from Bourgee directors James Welling and Mark Baumann read: “Following a protracted dispute and lengthy discussions between all parties – it is with sadness that we can confirm the Bourgee Restaurants located in Southend, Chelmsford and Bury St Edmunds have now closed.
“Despite exhaustive efforts to purchase and retain all venues, a way forward could not be agreed. As a consequence the ownership of these restaurants has passed to a new owner.
“We understand that the sudden closures have left customers confused and disappointed. We sincerely apologise for this.”
You may also want to watch:
The former Bourgee branch in Chelmsford has already reopened under the name Colenzo’s and new management.
Plans to open a Colenzo’s at the former Bourgee restaurant in Southend, which closed last week, are also underway.
- 1 Tankers on their way to Suffolk as the government unveils action plan
- 2 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 3 The 72 postcode areas where Covid infection rates are rising
- 4 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 5 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-1 draw with Sheffield Wednesday
- 6 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 7 Blaze spreads from classic car to bungalow next door
- 8 'Poor' infection control at care home sees used Covid test swab left in pile of clean PPE
- 9 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 10 Church brings a new Hope to former Ipswich Odeon cinema
A spokeswoman for Colenzo’s said it was not involved with the Bury St Edmunds location.
The statement from the duo added: “We would like to reiterate that these units are no longer part of the Bourgee Restaurant brand, and will be trading under a new company name. They will have no association whatsoever with Bourgee or with us individually.
“We look forward to soon announcing exciting news regarding new Bourgee restaurant venues.
“These venues will be entirely owned and operated by us as a duo, and will continue to build on the Bourgee brand, concept and delivery that has been so warmly received since launch in 2014.
“We would like to thank Bourgee fans for their loyal commitment to the restaurants over the last four years and look forward to welcoming them again as we step into a new era for the brand.”
The Bourgee Bites-Bar-Luxe Lounge at Southend Airport will remain open under the directors’ sole ownership, and gift vouchers can be redeemed there or at all new Bourgee sites which open.
Ensors Accountants confirmed they took over the administration of Bourgee Restaurants last week.