Boy hurt in freak golf club accident
A BOY of 10 was seriously injured when he was hit on the head with a golf club at a holiday park.The youngster, who staying at the Waldergrave Holiday Park on Mersea Island when the accident happened, is being treated in hospital for a "very serious" head injury.
A BOY of 10 was seriously injured when he was hit on the head with a golf club at a holiday park.
The youngster, who staying at the Waldergrave Holiday Park on Mersea Island when the accident happened, is being treated in hospital for a "very serious" head injury.
It is not clear exactly how the boy was injured but it is thought he was struck with the club as someone was playing a shot.
He was initially taken to Colchester General Hospital by the air ambulance after the accident on Sunday but was later transferred to London's Great Ormond Street Hospital for specialist treatment.
You may also want to watch:
Last night, the boy's family were at his bedside and a spokeswoman for the hospital said he was in a "stable" condition.
An ambulance, rapid response vehicle and the air ambulance were sent to the scene after a call to the Emergency Operations Centre at 12.31pm.
- 1 A12 reopens after serious collision
- 2 'A rut had set in and it needed to change... we will have got one or two wrong' - Cook on his Ipswich Town squad cull
- 3 Swimmers report sickness symptoms after dip in Suffolk river
- 4 Haverhill firm goes into liquidation with just £2.42 in the bank
- 5 Family 'devastated' after elderly man's Reliant Robin tipped over
- 6 Suffolk pub reopens with exclusive Champagne carvery
- 7 Olly Murs in hospital after leg injury from Newmarket Nights gig
- 8 Our Ipswich Town predictions: Top scorer, best player, where they'll finish and more
- 9 Evans on Town's 'powerful' mantra, not shying away from favourites tag and working under Cook again
- 10 Man who built outbuildings and lake without permission fined £1,300
An ambulance service spokesman said: "It is not clear exactly what happened, but the crews were told that the child was standing behind a man who was swinging a golf club.
"The 10-year-old, who was staying at the holiday park, suffered a very serious head injury.
"His condition was stabilised on scene before being flown to Colchester General Hospital where a paediatric team was on standby.
"After initial assessment and a CT scan, the youngster was transferred to Great Ormond Street Hospital for specialist care. He arrived there at 6.30pm on Sunday.
"There is no doubt that he suffered a very serious head injury but will get expert medical treatment at Great Ormond Street."
No one from the holiday park was available for comment yesterday.