Bradfield St Clare: Trek of a lifetime in Mongolia beckons for fundraiser Alex
- Credit: Contributed
THE term “aiming high” is one seemingly coined for Alex Embiricos.
Because when she starts her fundraising adventure in August she will be taking on one of the toughest challenges in the world.
Alex, of Bradfield St Clare, near Bury St Edmunds, is hoping the odds will be on her side as she takes on the 1,000km Mongol Derby.
If she wins she will be the first woman ever to do so.
Based on the “pony express” service set up by Genghis Khan, Alex will ride native semi-wild Mongol ponies for about a week, changing ponies every 40km and navigating herself across the Mongolian steppes.
The 39-year-old hopes her own breeding and form will stand her in good stead for the challenge.
For she is directly related to the first British woman to break the sound barrier while she, her mother and her grandmother have all won Newmarket’s Town Plate, with her grandmother Eileen Joel being the first woman to win it in 1925. Her family has also had success with top racehorses, including her father Nick, who owned Aldanti, which won the 1981 Grand National ridden by cancer survivor Bob Champion.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Town out of Trophy after shootout loss
- 2 Under-used council land to become sites for 3,000 homes
- 3 New farm shop and cafe opens in Suffolk countryside
- 4 Further case of Omicron Covid variant detected in East Anglia
- 5 Weather warning issued as Suffolk could see snow fall tomorrow
- 6 Case of new Omicron Covid variant identified in Norfolk
- 7 Flood alerts issued for Suffolk coast ahead of expected high tide
- 8 'Fans are disgruntled - I understand it' - Cook on Papa John's Trophy exit to Arsenal U21s
- 9 New animal feed mill planned for Bury St Edmunds
- 10 New Ed Sheeran Christmas song with Elton John out this week
In addition to raising funds for St Nicholas Hospice Care, Alex will be supporting the Bob Champion Cancer Trust, of which she is a trustee, and the Injured Jockeys’ Fund.
And as part of her fundraising efforts for the derby she is due to take part in a skydive on May 3.
To sponsor her visit www.justgiv ing.com/alexembiricos-dropzone