Braintree calls for volunteers for Community Clear Up Day
- Credit: Archant
A call for volunteers has been made to join a district-wide litter picking day.
For Community Clear Up Day on Saturday March 21 Braintree District Council (BDC) is calling on residents, clubs, community groups, schools and even businesses to pitch in and organiser their own litter picks.
The day is part of a national initiative led by the government in partnership with Keep Britain Tidy.
BDC’s own workers will be doing a litter pick of the length of the A120 through the district on Friday and Saturday March 20-21.
Wendy Schmitt, councillor for place at BDC, said: “This day is about encouraging people to take pride in their areas, and it’s so inspiring and effective when community groups come together to clean up and care for their immediate environment.
You may also want to watch:
“In recent years we’ve championed a number of anti-litter campaigns including the award-winning county-wide Love Essex campaign against fast food litter, and the success of these campaigns has owed a lot to the support and vigilance of residents and businesses in our district, and the dedication of our Green Heart Champions.
“If every person picked up one piece of litter, the difference made would be astounding. We have some lovely areas in the district and we want to make sure they stay that way.”
A toolkit with information, leaflets and posters is available to download online.
- 1 Man in 20s dies in collision between lorry and pedestrian on A14
- 2 Suffolk estate which featured on TV show on the market for £1.25m
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumours: Blues linked with goalkeeper and coaching move for former loanee
- 4 Car on its side in middle of roundabout after crash outside Haverhill Tesco
- 5 Van's roof torn off as it gets stuck under Suffolk bridge
- 6 'Next season we'll have a right go' - Roberts on Fleetwood win and Chambers' future
- 7 Matchday Recap: Lightning start for Town secures Fleetwood win
- 8 Biker breaks collarbone in swerve to avoid car on wrong side of road
- 9 'Masterpiece' modernist home with panoramic sea views for sale for £850,000
- 10 Joy as council reverses ban on motorhomes in car parks