Braintree: Couple whose daughter was killed by legal high sent free samples
A COUPLE whose daughter died after taking the dangerous Ivory Wave substance were stunned after they were sent free samples of a new legal high by a US-based company.
Mary and Robin Moyle’s daughter, Sarah Forsyth, was left brain dead after she swallowed the controversial drug which she had ordered for just �18 on the internet.
The 35-year-old was rushed to hospital where she spent two weeks in intensive care in a deep coma before her life support machine was switched off.
But now the heartbroken couple from Braintree, are fuming after they received two packages containing free samples of the latest legal high called “Recharge”.
An American-based company behind the new drug proudly boasts: “We believe we are on to a winner. If you were a fan of the old good popular powders, you will love this one”.
You may also want to watch:
Both Mr and Mrs Moyle were sent the two free sachets and believe they were targeted after their daughter used their bank cards to fund her addiction to Ivory Wave which she used as a dieting aid.
Speaking from their family home, a furious Mrs Moyle, 60, said: “I was so disgusted that they sent it here. They addressed it: ‘Dear UK customer’.
- 1 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues 'in £100,000 tug-of-war' for non-league midfielder
- 2 Shop opens at Suffolk village pub
- 3 Traffic at standstill on A12 between Ipswich and Colchester
- 4 'We're keeping about 10% of the roster' - Johnson on Ipswich squad overhaul
- 5 A12 underpass closed after car stuck in water
- 6 Flooding off the A14 causes emergency road closure in Ipswich
- 7 Person with leg injury after 4-vehicle crash on A140
- 8 Get ready for League One's 'Arizona Derby' as Lincoln follow Town with Phoenix investment
- 9 Town announce home friendly with Premier League club
- 10 Pupils forced to isolate after Covid test result wrongly recorded as positive
“We were reading the letter and I was thinking: ‘We have lost our daughter to this kind of stuff, others have died too and there are people who have had very bad reactions to it. I believe it is dangerous, so dangerous.
“This kind of thing has killed people and yet here they are sending out these free samples. What happens if a child happens to open it up? We thought it was just a normal delivery but then I looked at the packaging and became suspicious.’’
“I went onto the forum on their website and posted: ‘Drugs have killed my daughter – don’t you know that they are really dangerous?’”
The US-based firm which sent out the samples last night apologised, saying it had bought customer databases from British websites.
The couple said anyone tempted to try the samples should think again.
“The trouble with this stuff is that is is addictive – people don’t realise how addictive it is. Sarah took more and more of it and started to get mood swings and this stuff changed her personality, really.
“I think the people who peddle this need to try it themselves to see what it does to you. If a member of their family took it, they would see how their products ruin lives.
“But you cannot get to speak to these people.”
Mrs Moyle, who works at a local secondary school, has contacted both police and trading standards about the samples but was told there was nothing that could be done because the substances are not banned.
“We believe something must be done to shut this practice,” she added.
Mr Moyle, a retired caretaker, 66, added: “If anyone receives this sort of thing, the best advice we can give is ‘don’t believe for one minute it’s safe.
“The law needs to be changed and the Government needs to act now. Nothing will change unless they get involved.”
Sarah had moved back to the family home after separating from her husband over the stress of her problems.
She had popped out for the morning and when she got in at about 11am she told her mum she was going to bed because she was tired – it was the last time her mother spoke to her.
Mrs Moyle said: “We thought she was asleep. I went up there to about 4.30pm and I couldn’t wake her up. I phoned NHS Direct and they sent paramedics. They said she was in a coma.
“I went with her in an ambulance and they put her on life support. When we first went in the doctor told us she might die and that she was in a very deep coma.
“But we still hoped she might pull through.”
Sarah spent 12 days in intensive care and a CAT scan revealed her brain was swollen.
They took her off the life support as she was breathing on her own and transferred her to the neurological department but she still would not wake up. She died in Broomfield Hospital in Chelmsford, on August 21.
The family is still awaiting the final toxicology reports from the coroner and an inquest into the cause of Sarah’s death has still not taken place.