Braintree: Crews tackle flat fire above chip shop

Firefighters have attened a gas leak

Firefighters have attened a gas leak - Credit: Archant

FIREFIGHTERS were called to tackle a fire in a flat above a chip shop.

Essex County Fire and Rescue Service received reports of the blaze in Manor Street, Braintree, at 7.40pm.

Four crews were sent to the scene and found the fire appeared to have started in the main electrical intake for the flat.

A spokesman said: “When crews arrived the intake was still arcing and it was unsafe to begin tackling the fire immediately.”

Firefighters, wearing breathing apparatus, used two hose reel jets, three powder extinguishers and two covering jets to fight the flames which were extinguished by just after 9.40pm.

Two crews remain at the scene damping down hotspots.

Most Read

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter