Braintree detective praised for saving woman’s life in Chelmsford
- Credit: Archant
A Braintree detective has been praised for saving a woman’s life on his way home from a late shift.
Dc Dave Smith was on his way home on January 7 when he spotted a dark figure kneeling on the floor on a bridge in Chelmsford.
He turned round to get a better view and saw a woman looking down at the road below.
Concerned for her welfare, the officer parked up and walked over cautiously, reassuring her that he was there to help.
She was highly distressed and Dave was mindful that the temperature was rapidly dropping. He continued to reassure her and after 15 minutes, he was able to get her to his car and take her home.
You may also want to watch:
He reported the incident to the control room while reassuring the woman and she was met at her house shortly after by uniformed officers who took her to get the help she needed.
Dc Dave Smith said: “I saw the woman kneeling on the pathway and it struck me as strange.
- 1 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 2 First views of £1.5m new seafront cafe as hoardings removed
- 3 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash
- 4 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 5 When Ipswich boss Cook will inform players of his contract decisions
- 6 Ed Sheeran to be Ipswich Town shirt sponsor for 2021/22
- 7 'It could have been a lot worse' - Thatched home owner thanks crews after fire
- 8 Teaching assistant wins unfair dismissal claim
- 9 Village pub given go-ahead to expand dining area
- 10 Police identify elderly man after incident involving young girl in village
“I went back to check that she was ok and ended up talking to her for around 15 minutes. It was just the right thing to do.
“I’d like to think anyone else would offer to help in the same circumstances. Just saying hello can make all the difference.”