Braintree: More than 7,000 sign up for shop local discount card
A NEW scheme which encourages people to shop locally is being hailed a success.
More than 7,000 “indi” cards have now been distributed to shoppers across the Braintree district since its launch in September.
The card allows shoppers to receive discounts and free goods at independent retailers in the hope of reinvigorating town centre trade.
The initiative received a boost at the recent Braintree Christmas Market where more than 1,000 more visitors snapped up the cards.
Regeneration manager Alison Jennings said; “We introduced the indi card to encourage people to shop local and support local retailers and businesses, and its great news how quickly it’s taking off.
You may also want to watch:
“Saving money on shopping and meals out couldn’t be simpler with the indi card and, with Christmas just around the corner, there has never been a better time to use it.” More than 50 businesses have signed up to the scheme following a successful trial in August, when 15 shops put forward offers and discounts.
The move is part of the council’s “Backing our Towns” campaign and follows Braintree’s successful bid for a share of the �1.2million Mary Portas Pilot funding.
- 1 Tankers on their way to Suffolk as the government unveils action plan
- 2 Lorry overturns after crashing into office building - warning over delays
- 3 Seven spots to visit on the Suffolk Coast this autumn
- 4 Aldi to open 100 new supermarkets with eyes on four towns in Suffolk
- 5 The 72 postcode areas where Covid infection rates are rising
- 6 'Outstanding' former Ipswich teachers leave £2million to charities in will
- 7 Louis Theroux documentary on White House Farm murder premieres tonight
- 8 Town sign 6ft 5ins striker as Nsiala, Jackson and Barry all start for U23s
- 9 Church brings a new Hope to former Ipswich Odeon cinema
- 10 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
The latest offers can be viewed at www.braintree.gov.uk and shoppers in Halstead can pick up a card from Braintree Council on Saturday December 1 from 10am to 3pm.
Shoppers in Witham can pick cards up from Newlands Shopping Centre on Saturday December 8 from 10am to 3pm.
They are also available from participating shops and high street premises displaying an “indi” card window sticker. Alternatively you can apply online at www.braintree.gov.uk or call 01376 552525.