Braintree: Student fights off robber armed with knife
- Credit: citizenside.com
A teenager fought off a man armed with a knife who tried to steal his mobile phone.
The student, 18, was walking along Rifle Hill, Braintree, on his way to college when the incident happened at about 9am yesterday.
He was texting a friend when a man ordered him to hand over his mobile phone.
The victim refused and walked past him, but felt a blow to his stomach.
The teenager then punched the robber in the face, giving him time to run off.
You may also want to watch:
He later found the blow to the stomach had in fact been a lunge with a knife, and he has a slight cut.
Det Con Michael Pannell, investigating officer, said: “The victim was lucky that the knife injury was not much more serious. He was wearing a body warmer under a waterproof jacket and it prevented a deeper puncture wound.
- 1 Tories retain Suffolk County Council control - but Greens make huge gains
- 2 A weekend of potential departures as Town finish up their disappointing season
- 3 Joy as council reverses ban on motorhomes in car parks
- 4 Poorly rated Chick King takeaway goes into liquidation
- 5 'Masterpiece' modernist home with panoramic sea views for sale for £850,000
- 6 See inside beautiful stately home near Ipswich - for one day only
- 7 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 8 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 9 Bookings now open for unique new Suffolk dining experience
- 10 Plans to convert pub into block of holiday lets withdrawn
“The victim did not go to hospital for the stomach injury but is likely to have treatment to a badly swollen hand where he punched the assailant.
“This was a vicious robbery attempt and we would like to hear from any witnesses. The road is a popular cut through to the station and many people would have been returning from taking their children to school.”
The assailant was white, aged in his 20s, about 6ft tall and has brown hair and a goatee beard. He was wearing grey tracksuit bottom, dark-coloured zip-up top and was carrying a black waterproof jacket over shoulder.
Anyone with information should contact DC Pannell at Braintree CID on 101 or call Crimestoppers anonymously.